Se Habla Español

Child Injured Under Care of Family Friend

Check out this video to learn about injuries to a child under the care of a family friend in Florida. Then call Perenich the Law Firm for a free consultation.


What if my child was injured in an accident in the car of a family friend?


Child Injured Under Care of Family FriendSometimes, a mom or a dad calls me and that their child was involved in an automobile accident case riding in their friend’s car. What should they do, they ask, and are they entitled to compensation? More importantly, who’s going to pay for their medical bills? They need medical care and treatment; they’re injured.

This goes back to the rule in Florida which is Florida is a no-fault state which means that, regardless of fault, an insurance company that insures the vehicle that they’re riding in or insurers a vehicle that’s owned by a resident relative of your son or daughter, namely you, has the obligation to pay the first $10,000 of your son or daughter’s medical care and treatment on an 80% basis. If there’s a medical bill for $1,000 because they went to the emergency room, then that insurance company will have to pay 80% or $800 of that bill. That insurance company that has to pay that bill if your son or daughter lives with you or if they own a vehicle in your household, your own insurance company because Florida is a no-fault state will have to pay those first $10,000 of medical expenditures.

After that, the at-fault party’s insurance, that is the person’s insurance company that caused the accident, that insurance company will have to pick up the 20% that isn’t covered under that first $10,000 of coverage and any other medical bills that go beyond that first $10,000 of coverage. If your son, or a daughter, or your child, has been injured in an auto accident, whether it’s in your own vehicle or if it’s in another vehicle that they’re traveling in and you have any questions, please give us a call here at Perenich Law Injury Attorneys. We will answer those questions free of charge and make sure that you have good, sound legal advice to make the best decision for you and your family.


Were you or a loved one involved in a crash in Clearwater and have questions about a child injured under care of family friend? Contact our experienced Clearwater Car Accident Lawyers at Perenich Law Injury Attorneys today for a free consultation and case evaluation.

Our law firm handles cases for victims wrongfully injured by the negligence of others. Let us fight for you and your family.

Like Us on Facebook


Client Reviews

“The way your law firm handled my case for me was incredible. You took the stress of an unpleasant experience and settled it in the most professional way possible. I am truly grateful and will always recommend you to all my friends. Thank you.”
– Bill Baker
Read More Reviews