Victims of truck accidents frequently must contend with serious injuries and considerable financial losses. They often feel overwhelmed by the multiple, simultaneous challenges of healing, missing work or school, and paying for unexpected medical bills and other expenses.
If you find yourself in the difficult position of having suffered injuries in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault, help is available. An experienced truck accident lawyer can help you get financial compensation to help you recover and rebuild from your trauma.
Here’s an overview of how a truck accident attorney can help you pursue your truck accident case and ease the burden and stress of fighting for compensation. Your lawyer will help give you what you need most, the time and space you need to heal.
Hiring The Right Lawyer Can Make a Big Difference in the Outcome of Your Truck Accident Claim
As the victim of a truck accident caused by someone else’s wrongful decisions or conduct, you generally have the right to receive financial compensation from the party (or parties) at fault. But getting your hands on that money, let alone obtaining the most money possible, is not always straightforward.
In most truck accident cases, it’s not enough to hire just any truck accident lawyer—you need a lawyer who has years of experience and a strong track record of successful verdicts and settlements in truck accident cases like yours.
Truck accident claims often present challenges that other personal injury cases do not. That’s because truck accidents tend to cause more damage to more victims than run-of-the-mill crashes. It also features more parties who may owe financial compensation to those victims, which means more insurance companies and defense lawyers jockeying to shield themselves and their clients from liability.
The lawyer you hire to represent you in your truck accident claim, in other words, needs to understand and be ready to tackle the complications that commonly arise in a truck accident case.
The right lawyer will have the skills, trucking industry knowledge, and resources to:
- Investigate the root causes of the truck accident to figure out whose poor decisions and dangerous actions played a contributing role in a way that makes them liable to you for damages;
- Locate and obtain important evidence, including a truck’s electronic logging device (ELD) data that may shed light on what happened and who should bear the blame;
- Retain and work with forensic scientists, trucking industry consultants, and other experts to help build a winning case on your behalf;
- Untangle the frequently complex commercial relationships that get caught up in a truck accident to identify the party or parties who may owe you compensation and prevent them from avoiding their obligations to you;
- Work cooperatively with the law enforcement agencies and regulators who often conduct official investigations of truck accidents, to help them obtain the information they need while protecting your rights;
- Clearly and quickly explain your rights and options for obtaining compensation, answer your questions, and assist you in making decisions that may affect your wellbeing, finances, and future;
- Act quickly to preserve and assert your rights to financial compensation, including by meeting short deadlines for filing a demand for money damages, or appearing on your behalf in bankruptcy courts or other forums in which a trucking company may seek protection from your claim;
- Negotiate with multiple parties at once to secure favorable settlements or partial settlements of your claim whenever possible, while protecting your rights to seek compensation from non-settling parties;
- Advise you about when and whether to agree to a settlement or to reject it and keep fighting;
- Take your case to trial and present the complicated truck accident evidence in a manner the judge and jury can easily understand, while convincing them to award you maximum compensation; and
- Take the necessary steps to collect the money owed to you through a settlement, judgment, or jury award, even if it means seeking a court’s assistance in doing so.
Never simply assume that any lawyer representing motor vehicle accident victims can effectively handle the multiple tasks listed above. In selecting a lawyer, learn about that lawyer’s specific experience and results. If the lawyer cannot demonstrate a reputation and track record for success in truck accident cases, keep looking until you find one who can.
The Compensation a Truck Accident Attorney Can Secure for You
In most truck accident cases, the law entitles you to receive financial compensation for the full cost and impact of your injuries and losses.
Every case differs in specific damages, but in many cases, an experienced truck accident lawyer can obtain payment for your:
- Medical expenses in treating your truck accident injuries and any future health complications flowing from them, including the cost of hospitalization, long-term care, therapy, medication, and medical equipment.
- Other costs resulting from the truck accident, such as repairing or replacing damaged property, modifying your living quarters to accommodate a disability, or hiring help with day-to-day tasks while you heal.
- Lost earnings, including the value of sick leave and vacation days you used, resulting from you missing work while healing from your injuries;
- Loss of future income, if your injuries impact your ability to earn a living over the long-term;
- Physical pain, emotional suffering, and diminished quality of life and relationships, which encompasses the inconvenience, frustrations, and overall difficulties you now face because of your truck accident injuries.
Sometimes, depending on the specific facts of your case, a truck accident attorney can also secure additional compensation for you by seeking an award of statutory or punitive damages. Statutory damages serve as a penalty for the at-fault party’s violation of a specific state or federal law or regulation, which can frequently happen in a truck accident case because the trucking industry is heavily regulated. Punitive damages also punish conduct by an at-fault party that a court deems especially extreme or intentional.
The most reliable way to find out the types and amounts of financial compensation you may receive in your case is to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
Truck Accident Lawyers Are Affordable
You might think that truck accident lawyers, in light of their particular skills and experience, would cost a lot of money to hire. But that’s virtually never the case. In fact, chances are a truck accident attorney will get to work for you without you spending a dime out of your own pocket.
To begin, all reputable truck accident lawyers offer a free consultation to truck crash victims like you. They recognize that your injuries and losses have likely put you under financial strain, and they want to make it as easy and risk-free as possible for you to find the legal help you need. Even if you decide not to hire a lawyer after a consultation, you don’t have to pay a dime.
In addition, if you do hire a truck accident lawyer, that lawyer will almost certainly agree to represent you on a contingency fee basis. That is when the lawyer does work in exchange for a percentage of any money the lawyer succeeds in obtaining on your behalf. Unless and until the lawyer gets you results, you pay the lawyer nothing.
In other words, you don’t need to worry about whether you can afford a truck accident lawyer. You can.
How Much Time Do You Have to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
When it comes to the timing of hiring a lawyer after getting hurt in a truck accident, sooner is always better. Because truck accidents frequently involve numerous victims and potentially liable parties, you may need a lawyer on your side as soon as possible to protect and preserve your rights to compensation.
Waiting Can Complicate Your Case and Harm Your Rights
Waiting to hire a truck accident lawyer comes with potentially severe and costly downsides. As time passes, important evidence can go missing and witness memories can fade, complicating the task of proving your case for money damages. In addition, official investigations, or legal processes like bankruptcy cases, can impair your rights if you don’t have a lawyer acting on your behalf.
Don’t Risk Missing an Important Legal Deadline
If you wait too long to hire a truck accident lawyer, you could lose your rights to financial compensation altogether. In every state, a law known as the statute of limitations sets a hard deadline for victims like you to file a truck accident injury claim. Missing that deadline almost always means losing out on your opportunity to receive money damages.
Statutes of limitation differ from state to state, and even from case to case, depending on:
- Who has potential liability for your injuries;
- Your age at the time of your injuries;
- When you discovered or should have discovered the nature and extent of your injuries; and
- Whether the at-fault parties take legal action to shield themselves from liability.
The only reliable way to make sure you do not miss a deadline for asserting your claim for financial compensation after a truck accident is to connect with an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible. There is no such thing as too soon to reach out, even if it means contacting a lawyer from your hospital bed or having a family member do it for you.
Get Help from a Truck Accident Lawyer Today
The trauma and expense of a truck accident can severely disrupt your life, but you do not need to face those challenges alone. An experienced truck accident attorney can handle the complicated process of securing payment for your injuries and losses so that you can focus on healing and rebuilding.
But you have no time to lose. The help a truck accident lawyer can provide tends to pay the biggest dividends when you seek it early.
A free, no-risk consultation is the place to start. Contact an experienced truck accident lawyer today to learn about how they can help.